Telecom operators in India currently provide 2G and 2.5 G services to subscribers. Last year, the government of India, through its enterprise -- BSNL -- soft-launched third generation or 3G services in Delhi.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has failed to get security clerance from security agencies for its monitoring equipment installed in the International Long Distance Network, a glitch that may further delay the PSU's ILD entry.
The move may prove a shot in arm for the Chinese firms such as Huawei and ZTE, who were not allowed to put in bids for the 5.5 million tender due to security concerns.
Reliance Communications-owned FLAG system has won a case against Tatas-owned Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited in the International Court of Arbitration, which makes it eligible for upgrading capacity of international bandwidth.
The Kuki Liberation Army have demanded Rs 30 lakh in exchange for Deputy General Manager J Lumkim's release.
Nine people were injured in a string of terror attacks in north Kashmir's Sopore town on Monday.
Passing an interim order, Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal also directed BSNL to restore RCom's inter- connection within 48 hours of such payment. TDSAT Chairman Justice Arun Kumar said: "I am of a view that the petitioner (Rcom) should deposit an amount of 65 per cent of disputed claim in one week and respondent should restore the connection with 48 hours of the deposit."
It was discovered that state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited was given additional spectrum of up to 10 MHz for GSM technology services in over 16 circles even as private competitors have been waiting to be allotted spectrum by the DoT.
The companies would set up a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer network that allows telephones to connect faster to the internet, IBM said. BSNL will use the network to offer new broadband-based, multi-play services.
'... there are challenges to overcome and the country needs money for that.'
Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal has clubbed the two cases filed by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited challenging Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's decision to reduce the levy collected from private operators.
Sources said BSNL is now looking at putting in place tougher terms and conditions for the new tender as the original tender was under controversy, with BSNL facing allegations of non-transparency in the bidding process to select its WiMax franchisee partners. More than 20 companies made a bid earlier this year to act as a WiMax partner to BSNL in a number of circles across India.
All the integrated private telecom operators like Bharti, Reliance are targeting high as well as mass market broadband subscribers to shore up their non-telephony revenues. BSNL operates all over the country, except in Delhi and Mumbai.
International long distance carrier Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited on Friday urged the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India to scrap the access deficit charge as it was leading to smuggling of international calls.
BSNL would shortly sign memoranda of understanding with Korea Telecom and Microsoft for rolling out broadband services under the National Internet Backbone phase two project in the country, its chairman and managing director V P Sinha said.
A bench comprising acting Chief Justice M K Sharma and Justice Hima Kohli granted a week's time to Motorola to file its reply on the response filed by BSNL.
The Delhi high court restrained BSNL on Thursday from awarding contracts for its Rs 20,000 crore (Rs 200 billion) GSM network expansion project till November 30.
US telecom major Motorola's worldwide chief executive officer Ed Zander is visiting India next week and is expected to meet IT and Communication Minister Dayanidhi Maran.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited would soon review tariff structure for basic and mobile phone services, and introduce an "account-less-Internet" service in Rajasthan soon, its chairman and managing director Prithipal Singh announced on Monday.
The Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has unearthed a racket in which many subscribers are reported to have sought mobile phone connections from the BSNL after producing fake ration cards.
The bids were slated to be opened on December 4. WiMAX or Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access provides for wireless transmission of data and up to 75 Mb/sec speed. The 802.16d -- also frequently referred to as 'fixed WiMAX' has no support for mobility.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has decided not to charge any rent from telephone subscribers for the period of disconnection of their telephones.
Instructions have been issued to circles to ensure timely issue of telephone bills and to effect disconnection of telephones for non-payment promptly. The company has fixed a 35-day deadline for disconnection due to non-payment of bills, the reply said. Hitherto, banks and credit card companies were among the chief patrons of recovery agents, whose more often than not high-handed methods of recovering dues came for flak from the Reserve Bank of India last year.
New SMS-based service to be offered in association with India Post.
The state-run telecom operator had recovered Rs 2,541.84 crore (Rs 25.41 billion) up to September 2012.
State-owned telecom giant Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has no plans to come out with an initial public offer in the immediate future, a government statement said on Thursday.
The government has turned down Bharat Sanchar Nigam's Limited's proposal to offer services in Mumbai and Delhi metros, saying guidelines do not permit it.
Calls for inquiry into attempts by 'vested interests'.
If BSNL were to take the minister's advice, the public sector company may have to reconsider disqualification of US equipment supplier Motorola and its Chinese partner ZTE from the tender -- a quarter of which was for rolling out 3G lines.
There are three private mobile phone service providers in the region, namely, Reliance Telecom, Airtel and AirCel besides Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited.
Sandwiched between employees' threat of a strike and telecom minister A Raja's insistence to renegotiate the GSM expansion deal, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited said on Friday it hopes to find a solution soon for ending the impasse.
Five persons were injured, three of them seriously, when a bomb went off near the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited office at Bora Service locality in the heart of Guwahati at about 8.15 pm on Wednesday.
"Private players are going only in those areas where there is a big market, whereas rural areas are by and large connected by BSNL. We are adding 20 million new lines this year to cover maximum foot print," minister of state for telecom Sachin Pilot said during the Question Hour.
Companies that invest heavily in firewalls and other protection measures forget that over 15 per cent of their employees are talking to headhunters and prospective new employers at that very moment, say experts.
Public sector telecom major, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), is all set to launch its 3G operations in 700 cities across north and east India by June and east India by June and in the south by July, a senior company official said.